Post By @CubanWindow

So, we have 12 categories approved by the US government that allows us to travel to the island. “None of them includes  travel as a tourist”

Our trips to Cuba are authorized by a “general license,” which means that who meet any of the 12 criteria listed below do not need to apply for a license to visit Cuba.

1.       Family travel: to visit close relatives, defined as any individual related  by blood, marriage, or adoption, who is no more than three generations removed from that person or from a common ancestor with that person. 

2.      Official government business: Employees, contractors or grantees of our government, any foreign government, or any intergovernmental organization (of which the U.S. is a member or observer) on official business on behalf of their government or intergovernmental organization.

3.       Journalistic activity:  to full-time journalists, supporting broadcast or technical personnel, or freelance journalists with experience

4.      Professional research and meetings:  for people to conduct research in their fields or attend professional meetings.

5.      Educational activities: Under this category, staff and students from academic institutions and secondary schools also are allowed to engage in certain educational activities in Cuba under this classification.

6.      Religious activities: Religious organizations, members, and staff are allowed to engage in programs and religious activities. This category of travel to Cuba must consist of a full-time schedule of religious activities.

7.       Public performances, clinics, workshops, exhibitions and athletic competitions: In general, this category applies to athletes, performers, and artists, who plan to participate in amateur and semi-professional sports, perform publicly, attend clinics or workshops, or exhibit their work.

8.      Support for the Cuban people: The U.S. Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control defines “support for the Cuban people” as  “human rights organizations; independent organizations designed to promote a rapid, peaceful transition to democracy; and individuals and non-governmental organizations that promote independent activity intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba.”

9.      Humanitarian projects: Include medical and health-related projects; certain beneficial construction projects; environmental projects; and undertakings involving educational training (in entrepreneurship and business, civil education, journalism, advocacy and organizing, adult literacy, or vocational skills; community-based grassroots projects; projects suitable to the development of small-scale private enterprise; projects related to agricultural and rural development that promote independent activity; micro-financing projects with some exceptions; and endeavors to meet basic human needs).

10.   Activities of private foundations or research for educational institutes: People affiliated with private foundations or research or educational institutes may travel to Cuba for “an established interest in international relations to collect information related to Cuba for non-commercial purposes.”

11.    Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or informational materials: This category allows a number of activities related to the publishing, music, and film industries.

12.   Export: Travel to Cuba is permitted for some authorized export transactions.

You also need: a passport valid for at least one week after the return date from Cuba + a return ticket. Do not lose this document – you’ll need it for departure.

WIF and