Cuba and the United States, two nations separated by 90 miles, had a troubled bilateral relations since the US intervention in the War of Independence against Spain in the late nineteenth century.
On March 2, 1901, the Platt Amendment was passed as part of the 1901 Army Appropriations Bill. It stipulated seven conditions for the withdrawal of United States troops remaining in at the end of the Cuban-Spanish-American War, and an eighth condition that Cuba sign a treaty accepting these seven conditions. It defined the terms of Cuban–U.S. relations to essentially be an unequal one of U.S. dominance over Cuba.
The Iron House, Trade Mark
On December 17, 2014 the presidents of the two countries announced the reestablishment of relations, interrupted on January 3, 1961, by President Dwight Eisenhower, who closed the doors of peaceful coexistence with the young Cuban Revolution.
They are moving in a new step towards normalization of their relations, trying to overcome a history of unilateral economic blockade and direct attacks the Caribbean island.
This is a short travel through times and places that make the US diplomatic presence in the last century, just as a new chapter in bilateral relations opens.
This building in Old Havana, Cuba, worked as one of the headquarters of US during the term of Charles Magoon as Governor of the island during the second US military intervention between 1906 and 1909.
During the pseudo-republic, the US ambassador was as important as the president of the country and in some cases more . During the 40s, what was happening inside the embassy, located on Calle Obispo, could change the country’s destiny.
In 1953, during the dictatorship of Batista, US based his latest embassy along the Malecon, as a symbol of power and influence. The building was designed by the renowned firm of Harrison & Abramovitz New York architects.
James Tracy (left), Mike East (center), and Larry Morris were the three Marines hauled down the American flag on January 4, 1961, a few hours before being escorted by Cuban militia to a ferry in the port of Havana and took them back to their country. According to US diplomatic sources.
After December 17, 2014, both countries reopened Embassies as a symbol of a new chapter on the relations between them.
However, much it remains to be done that the focus is as immediate as the 90 miles separates us from the island